Butternut Squash and Pear Soup
Have you ever started to make something and thought “This is either going to be out of this world or it’s going to be an epic fail”. No? Hmmm.. I find myself thinking that way to often, especially when I’m trying new recipes. Yesterday was no exception. The pancakes I made for breakfast.. epic fail! But dinner.. dinner was fantastic! Seriously, off the charts good! My husband’s exact words “This is the best stuff ever”. The squash gives this soup an earthy taste and the pear adds a subtle sweetness, combined with several fragrant spices, you’ve got yourself the perfect fall soup. This soup would be a great starter for your Thanksgiving meal or you could enjoy it as a meal all on its on like we did.
It sounds a little strange, (hence why I was worried about it being an epic fail) butternut squash and pear? I saw the original recipe on pinterest and since I have both squash and pear that needed to be used I was drawn to it. Now of course, as luck may have it I didn’t have any of the spices that were called for in the original recipe and I decided to make several other changes as well. Then, I decided I wanted to make it in the microwave to save time.. haha, are you scared yet? My husband was too.. only not really because he knows by this point that my crazy concoctions usually come out great and this was no exception. Oh and did I mention it’s vegan?
Butternut Squash and Pear Soup
1/4 cup olive oil
6 garlic cloves, minced
1 large onion, chopped
6 cups of butternut squash, cubed (1/2 inch)
4 cups of vegetable stock
2 ripe pears, pealed and cubed (1/2 inch)
1/2 teaspoon thyme
1/4 teaspoon rosemary
1/2 teaspoon Cinnamon Plus Spice Blend (or AllSpice)
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt pinch black pepper
Microwave Directions (Stovetop Directions are available below)
1. Add minced garlic, onions and olive oil to the Deep Covered Baker. Microwave uncovered for 3 minutes until the onions and garlic become translucent.
2. Add spices and pears and microwave for an additional 3 minutes, covered.
3. Add the squash and microwave covered for 5 minutes, stir and microwave for an additional 5 minutes, covered.
3. Add the stock and stir to combine ingredients. Microwave covered for 5 minutes, stir and microwave for an additional 5 minutes, covered.
4. Squash and pear should be fork tender. Place your soup into a blender and blend until smooth. Depending on the size of your blender you may have to do this in two batches.
Enjoy! Recipe makes 10 cups of soup
If you don’t have a Deep Covered Baker you can do this on the stovetop in a large stockpot following these directions:
1. Heat a large stockpot on medium heat. Add minced garlic, onions and olive oil to the and cook for approximatly 3 minutes until the onions and garlic become translucent.
2. Add spices and pears and cook for an additional 5 minutes. Make sure to stir occasionally.
3. Add the squash and cook for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
4. Add the stock and stir to combine ingredients. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to low. Let simmer for 15-20 minutes until squash and pear are fork tender.
5. Squash and pear should be fork tender. Place your soup into a blender and blend until smooth. Depending on the size of your blender you may have to do this in two batches.
We don’t usually do fancy, multiple course meals but this soup just tastes fancy! It made us want to have guests over to share it with. However, life is so busy that dinner guests are something we never seem to get around too (got to get better about that!) So maybe you can have some guests over to enjoy this soup or if you want to keep it all to yourself we’ll understand that too.
Recipe adapted from: White on Rice Couple
Hi! I’m Paula, a wife and mom by both, birth and adoption. We are a homeschool family and are also therapeutic foster parents. I enjoy spending time with our horses, gardening or going on adventures (usually in our backyard) with my family. We love Jesus and strive to honor Him in all we do. Want to know why I started All Things Moms? >>Read More